And I realized something- this is not failure. I have cut processed foods and sugar out of 98% of my diet. Gluten- 100% Hello, success!
In just a few short weeks, I will be moving into a townhouse with two very amazing ladies. (This is an exciting step for me, more on that to come later!) As with my last move, I find myself dreaming about the garden more than I do about the interior of the house. I don't know who I am! I used to abhor the thought of being outside and digging in the dirt. It only took me until age 28 to find the beauty in dirt, seeds, nurturing and growth.
While my last apartment consisted of a tiny little fire escape on which to plant in pots, this new town home will let me spread out a little. I will still have to garden mostly in pots, but I will have many more options available to me. While our community has shared yards (yeah! missional living opportunities!), there is a patch of garden that surrounds the front and right side of our new home. I plan on putting it to good use.
My clean eating journey and love for gardening have landed me here. I now consider myself on the journey to becoming an urban homesteader. Doesn't that sound so hipster of me?
I am not sure why growing sprouts seemed so daunting at first, but seriously it was so easy. And so delicious!
First, I scoured sproutpeople.com. There is a ton of useful information on that website. I didn't follow it to a T (rebel), but my sprouts still turned out well! I ordered my sprouting jar off Amazon. There are a lot of options out there, and I went with a mason jar and twist on screen. My sprouting jar came with a packet of organic alfalfa seeds, which will probably last me a lifetime. Two tablespoons of seeds gave me a jar bursting with sprouts.
Step one was to let my seeds soak for about 4 hours. After soaking, drain them well and tip them sideways into a bowl. For the next four days I gave my sprouts 2-3 baths a day. And that was it! So very easy.
Day two- you could already see the sprouts growing.
Day four- I put them in the windowsill to green up.
Day five: I removed the hulls, rinsed and dried the sprouts.